Wednesday, April 7, 2010

God's Mercy through my Pity Party

The other day, I found myself in a pity party. I'm pretty good at throwing these types of parties. After all, I love to plan and play hostess to my guests. The only problem with this type of party is that the guests are: fear, doubt, unbelief, and comparison. Not typically, the type of guests that you want to invite into your life when you are trying to follow Christ.

Regardless, I did just that. I was wallowing in my bad mood and feelings all day on Monday. I really had amazing things happen that day that should have broken the funk. My mom came home from a five day hospital stay, blessings are abounding at work, and we turned in our last piece of references to the state for fostering! So why oh why am I partying with these crude guests. I would like to blame it on my physical circumstances (I've had some crazy stuff going on with my reproductive organs, I'm pretty sure that is all the details you want!). I would like to blame it on hormones. But I can't. I know the truth...I'm a big girl. It is my sin. Don't get me wrong, I think hormones haven't helped. I know all that other crazy stuff hasn't helped, but I'm still responsible for my mood.
I thoroughly believe that.

I can choose joy.

I have a Redeemer who I was just praising the day before for conquering
sin and death.

I have blessings, upon blessings.

I am a daughter to a KING.

but all day long I choose to sit in my sin and whine. { my poor husband ...he is usually the one that gets the brunt of it. Sorry, babe!}

I slept pretty good that night, but woke early on Tuesday morning. If you know me at all, this is NOT normal. I like to sleep as long as possible. But I woke up about an hour before I normally do. I couldn't go back to sleep. I knew that God was inviting me to have some uninterrupted time with Him before I even began my day.
So I took it.

Do you have a favorite devotion? I do. It's like my guide to how to uninvite a
Pity Party!

This one,

Streams in the Dessert was introduced to me by one of my best friends, Christin. We roomed together in college and she let me borrow it often.
It quickly became my favorite.

During moments of doubt, grief or fear I would pick it up and most always find peace. I would find this peace because this devo points you straight to Christ and helps us to have a better perspective.

Anyways, I read this (i think it is Jan. 6th's devo):

"When you pass through the waters....they will sweep over you.' Isaiah 43:2

Here is an excerpt:
"When you pass through the waters"
Deep the waves may be and cold,
But JEHOVAH is our refuge,
And his promise in our hold;
For the Lord Himself has said it,
He, the faithful God and true:
"When you come to the waters
You will not go down, But THROUGH,"

Seas of sorrow, seas of trial,
Bitter anguish, fiercest pain,
Rolling surges of temptation
Sweeping over heart and brain -
They will never overflow us
For we know His Word is true;
All His waves and all His billows
He will lead us safely THROUGH.

Threatening breakers of destruction,
Doubt's insidious undertow,
Will not sink us, will not drag us
Out to ocean depths of woe;
For His promise will sustain us,
Praise the Lord, whose Word is true!
We will not go down, or under,
For He says, "You will pass THROUGH."
~Annie Johnson Flint

Praying that you feel the blessed peace that gives you hope that whatever you are going through, God will help you THROUGH!!!

I am curious, what devotions or parts of scripture are your favorites to cling to?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this, and I hope everything is going better! I love Andrew Murray's "Believers Daily Renewal" and go back to it all the time. I am currently reading "Fear Not Tomorrow, God is Already There" by Ruth Graham and HIGHLY recommend it--I think it would be great for what you are going through b/c it's all about trusting the Lord and finding peace in Him.

Hugs to you!

Sabrina Pate said...

i cling to the psalms, or certain past bible study workbooks, or reading my journal. i dont journal greatly- but i try to at least write something every week or two, and in these moments like you described (ps i do this all too often too) those journals help me see past my present moment to the big picture of my life.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry that you had a tough day, friend. I remember having parties with those very unfriendly guests. You are so right about where to turn in those times of heartache...the Savior!
This devotion was super encouraging. I like to think on Isaiah 40:31...
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
I know that the Lord has blessing upon blessing to pour out for you and Scott. You honor Him, you serve Him, your heart is moved by the things that move His heart. Waiting is so difficult...I remember. Looking back, I see that His plans and timing are far better than anything that I could have imagined...Praise the Lord!
John and I are praying for your family. I believe that something beautiful is in the works!

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs