Friday, July 27, 2012

Careful...they are watching!

My title of this post sounds like it could be a scary movie or something.  It's not.

I'm sitting here with on the couch editing and uploading pictures for a dear family.  Their is a sleeping babe lying next to me.  I hear sweet little voices from the back of the house playing together.  I'm amused and slightly alarmed from what I'm hearing.

My 3 year old daughter says, "Honey, grab me a paper towel. I need one.  Hurry.  The baby has spit up  and it's everywhere."

My 5 year old son says, "I don't see any.  Do we need to go to the store."

And it goes on and on.  This happens often.  One day in the car I was on the phone with Scott before we left for vacation talking about the budget.  After I was off, I tuned into what the kids were talking about in the back.  I heard them going back and forth about take 276 to the bank and we can use our date money for this and I got cash for that.  It's pretty cute.

But it's also dangerous.  I'm more and more convinced that it's how we live our lives that our kids truly pick up on...not how we tell them to live their lives. I always knew that parenting was an important job and incredibly difficult.  But it's soo much more than I imagined.  We are accountable to God for these little lives and they are greatly influenced by our every breath.

Makes me think twice before speaking.  A little more careful to make sure they are out of earshot for conversations they don't need to hear.  Watch closer to my personal habits and make sure they exemplify our creator.

I know I will make mistakes.  I know Scott will.  But my heart is that at the end of the day when I'm listening to them play...they won't be mocking me or Scott.  But our Lord.  His voice. His actions. His character.

Lessons learned from watching children are always easy....Careful, for they are watching you and their little lives will be shaped by the things they see you do.

Ok...babe is up and I've got to get back to work!


0 comments:

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs