Friday, September 7, 2012

What I'd tell my 26 yr. old self

My chicks are both down for a nap and of course big brother is at school... so I thought I'd sit down to clear my head.

Lately, I've been thinking how much my life has changed in the past five years.  On my 26th birthday, I remember feeling more loneliness and fear of the future than I've ever had. I was single and no future romances on the horizons.  5 months later, Scott asked me out.  5 months after that I was engaged. 5 months after that I was married. 4 years after that we have three kids: 6 year old, 3 year old and 6 month old.  WHOA!

So here is what I'd tell my 26 year old self:

*  Don't give up.  Though I know from the years of experience from wanting to find love and then wanting to have children that "hope deferred makes the heart sick," don't give up.  Keep your eyes and heart open.  Don't close off from all the people and life going on around you.

*  God has a plan for you.  It's not just a catchy, feel good phrase.  It's a Biblical truth.
 All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
(Psalm 139:16)
Now I cannot promise that it will include everything you want.  But it will be HIS best. If you are seeking Him, that is what will make you happy. 

*  Don't wait to start living your life.  This was so hard for me.  Do what you are called to do at this moment and do it well.  God gave me soo many opportunities and I hate to think I wasted any of them. I cannot go back to fix the regrets, but I can rejoice in all the moments I got out of my "I'm single" funk to find good things around me.  Their are so many amazing relationships, trips and growth that I would have missed by staying trapped in my house watching romantic comedies.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some romantic comedies...but I mean don't stop living because you are waiting for your life to begin.  

*  ENJOY this season.  You know how they say, "The grass is always greener on the other side."  That is so true with me.  Don't worry, I'm not going to complain or "wish" I was single.  I HATED when married with children women did that around me.  But I will say one day you'll be exhausted from chasing toddlers, dirty from being spit up on and burned out by children's bad attitudes.  You'll want to get away for a little bit.  You'll find yourself feeling a little jealous of your single girlfriends ability to pick up at any point to go shopping, do lunch or get a pedicure.  You wouldn't trade your life for anything, but maybe long for just one day of the carefree lifestyle of singleness. Relish in it!  Go blow $40 bucks on a new pair of shoes, wear dangly earrings that no one will be pulling on and paint your toes  in the middle of your livingroom free from any worries that someone will get it and paint the tv.  

So there you go... 26 year old self. 
Oh just a few more tidbits from a wiser you:
    Please stop wearing those hideous too short khaki shorts. 
    Stock up on your favorite expensive beauty products...you'll be switching to Suave soon. 
    Enjoy going grocery shopping and trips to WalMart by yourself, one day this will be a luxury.
    and remember, 

"Life is a journey, not a destination." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enjoy the journey! : )


0 comments:

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs