Monday, December 10, 2012

Apologies aren't easy.

It was a gloomy slow morning where everyone was dragging.  It's understandable that we were all a little grumpy.  My oldest girl had brought the jeans I laid out for her into the living room to complain they weren't "fancy" enough.  First of all, REALLY?  We are all ready there with major opinions of our wardrobe....we are sooo in for it.  Anyways, back to the story.  I was holding little one and she was grabbing Evy's jeans. She screamed and yelled at her for trying to get her (just recently, undesirable) jeans. Then Evy ran off to her room.  Now this is pretty normal and she wasn't really that ugly to Liv.  I didn't even correct her...except to say...GO, PUT ON THOSE UNFANCY JEANS RIGHT THIS INSTANT!

A few minutes later I was checking my email and Liv was on the floor playing.  Evy came in and sat right in front of her baby sister.  She said, "Liv, I'm sorry I yelled at you. Forgive me?" Now we do sorry in our house A LOT, but it's usually because they've been reminded. But lately, my girl has just been melting my heart.  There was one day she had just been a royal stinker in a store....completely opposite of what we'd talked about before we went in.  She got consequences when we left for her disobedience....again, nothing out of the ordinary. However, It must have made an impact on her because she has apologized like five times since then at random times.  Like when she is going to take a nap and I'm tucking her in she leaned in to say, "I'm sorry I was so bad in that store, Mommy." The first two times I thought it was so endearing and sweet.  But then I talked to her how she didn't need to say sorry soo many times.  I forgave her the first time she apologized.

So when she came to her sister on her own, it made me so excited that her heart was so tender.  I'm hopeful that her and Liv's relationship ...actually, all my children use this type of love for each other always. I know they'll continue to fight and hurt one anothers feelings....that's just life. But if they commit to work on their relationships, it will for sure be a treasure and blessing to them.

It's hard to say we are sorry.  It's opens us up for hurt.  Admits our wrongs and that is a humbling thing to do. The Bible is clear that we must right our wrongs and forgive others. I love this passage and it keeps me on the right track with my relationships.

12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and [k]patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is [l]the perfect bond of unity. 15 Let the peace of Christ [m]rule in your hearts, to which [n]indeed you were called in one body; and [o]be thankful. 16 Let the word of [p]Christ richly dwell within you, [q]with all wisdom teaching and admonishing [r]one another with psalms andhymns and spiritual songs, singing [s]with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:12-17


I pray that you experience that perfect bond of unity with those in your life.


Here are my sweet girls.... sisters are such a gift!

1 comments:

Heidi said...

awe, that is such a sweet story! I remember the first time my oldest apologized by himself (without me asking/reminding him) it was so precious :)

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs